Francisco Lara Puerto, better known as Paco Lara is an acclaimed flamenco guitarist from the birthplace and cradle of flamenco Jerez de la Frontera, in Spain. Paco started playing guitar at a very young age, when he was only 8-years-old. At a still tender age of 16, Paco began working professionally as a flamenco guitarist with one of his brothers, singer José Lara, recording 2 albums and touring extensively. Later, Paco was also mentor and promoter of his other brother, Santiago Lara, who won the renowned La Bienal de Flamenco de Sevilla (2000), Spain’s most prestigious guitar competition.
Embodying the unmistakable and genuine Jerez style of flamenco guitar playing, Paco Lara has toured internationally alongside Maestro Paco Cepero, one of flamenco’s most legendary guitarists and composers.
Paco has been at the vanguard of Flamenco Fusion music genre, with hugely successful bands such as El Barrio (from 2000 to 2003) and Los Delinqüentes(from 2007 to 2011)
Apart from his skill as a formidable soloist, Paco is also revered for his ability as an accompanist in the specialised world of flamenco singing (Cante). This he demonstrated by recording and performing with a number of flamenco’s most significant artists including:
- Beni de Cádiz
- Juan Moneo “El Torta”
- Miguel Flores “El Capullo de Jerez”
- Tomasa Guerrero “La Macanita”
- Remedios Amaya
- Jose de los Camarones, etc.
- Paco has also toured with the principal figure of The Copla Española, Isabel Pantoja in Santiago de Chille - Chille, for the Festival Viña del Mar 2017 and in Lima- Peru.
As an accompanist to flamenco dance (Baile), Paco has participated in many European tours with famed flamenco dancer Mercedes Ruiz from Jerez, in her concerts:
“Dibujos en el Aire”, “Gestos de Mujer” and “Perspectivas”.
The latter was awarded the “Critics Choice” at The Festival de Jerez in 2011 and this collaboration project went on being represented in variety of prestigious programs and festivals across Europe including:
- “Festival de la Guitarra de Córdoba” Córdoba - Spain (2012)
- “Festival Plaza Flamenca”, Beziers - France (2012)
- “Teatro Compac Gran Vía Madrid” Madrid - Spain ( 2012)
- “Fiesta de la Bulería de Jerez” Jerez - Spain (2012)
- “Bienal de Sevilla” Seville - Spain (2012)
- "Oktoberfest" Munich - Germany (2012)
- "Casa de la Música Moscow" Moscow - Russia (2013)
- "Festival Flamenco" St. Petersburg - Russia (2013)
Throughout his long and fruitful career, Paco Lara has recorded over 20 albums with some of the best flamenco artists in Spain.
In 2017 Paco moved with his family to Australia and has since called Down Under his home. In Australia, he performed across the country with different flamenco dance companies.
In July 2018 he returned to his town to participate in The Jerez International Guitar Festival, both in concert and as a member of the Jury of the Jerez International Guitar competition.
In August 2018 Paco performed in The Sydney Guitar Festival.
Presently, Paco is touring Australia promoting his solo album "The Andalusian Guitar" and performing at some of the most prestigious venues with maximum audience attendance, and outstanding reviews. His latest concerts in Canberra and Newcastle have all sold out in record times, and the tickets for his Sydney Opera House and Byron Bay concerts are currently on sale.